Call for Choreographers, Dusk Dances 2022
Deadline: Monday, February 21, 2022, at 11:59pm
Dusk Dances is inviting proposals for dance works to be presented
at Dusk Dances 2022 at Withrow Park in Toronto from August 6 - 14, 2022.
Send your proposal to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are inviting unique proposals of solos, duets and trios, for a remount / re-imagination / adaptation of an already existing dance work. Applications for commissions, or for new works still-in-development will not be considered at this time. Dusk Dances presents dance works that are ten (10) minutes in length.
Artists and companies from Toronto and the GTA are eligible to apply - no accommodation or per-diem will be provided.
Three (3) dance works (solos, duets and trios only) will be selected for Dusk Dances 2022 at Withrow Park by a Lead Curator, with curatorial support from Michael Caldwell and Festival Director Sylvie Bouchard. The Lead Curator will be hired in February 2022.
Please note that the total number of performers (3 maximum) must include all artists who are performing live in the work (e.g., musicians etc.).
Dusk Dances welcomes and will prioritize hiring choreographers and artists who self-identify as being part of underrepresented groups including IBPOC, 2SLGBTQIA+, and disabled.
ABOUT DUSK DANCES
Dusk Dances is an outdoor dance festival that brings dance to public parks. As dusk descends, a theatrical host leads the audience to an array of unique dance pieces that unfold in different areas of the park.
Choreographers are invited to perform ten-minute pieces inspired by the park’s natural environment. Audiences are invited on a pay-what-you-can basis to an innovative site-specific festival, which is not only an artistic event but a social and cultural one as well. 2022 will mark Dusk Dances’ 28th season with, we hope, a return to Withrow Park after two years of pandemic pivots.
- applicants must have presented a minimum of three (3) choreographic works;
- applicants must be a professional dance artist / company that can legally work in Canada.
*Dusk Dances will not accept proposals from students currently enrolled in a post-secondary college, university, or conservatory institution.
*Decisions will be made by April 15th at the latest.
IN ORDER TO APPLY, PLEASE PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION
- contact information (name, address, phone, email, website);
- a biography (maximum 350 words), which includes information about your choreographic experience (recent works, residencies, commissions, awards, etc.);
- a one-paragraph piece description of the proposed work;
- the length of the proposed work or excerpt (must be between 9 and 11 minutes in length);
- a paragraph re: your previous experience with creating works in site-specific venues, highlighting any outdoor presentations;
- a brief statement, describing your interest in adapting this proposed work for an outdoor setting, and how you will accomplish this;
- an online link to watch a full-version of the work you are proposing. *
*If you are proposing an excerpt of a longer work, please submit the full-length video, and identify the section (s) that you plan to remount (include time code markers).
*Please do not include additional video documentation for other choreographic works - we will only view video of your proposed work.
NOTE: Video and/or audio applications are welcome.
DUSK DANCES WILL PROVIDE
- a presentation fee that covers rehearsals, a performance fee for the artists and a fee to the choreographer;
- outside eye services from the curatorial team of Dusk Dances 2022;
- all logistics for the festival including the venue;
- technical personnel and equipment (including microphones and sound systems);
- marketing and publicity (posters, postcards, newsletters, social media, house programs).
HOW TO APPLY
Kindly send your application to Marketa Tokova at email@example.com (with “Call for Choreographers 2022” in the subject line) by February 21, 2022, at 11:59pm. Applications must be submitted as one (1) PDF file.
CALL TO CHOREOGRAPHERS POSTING FORMATS
- Download this posting as a PDF.
- Download this posting as a PDF in black font here.
- Download this posting as a Word in black font here.
- Listen to the audio recording of this Call for Choreographers.
If you need accommodations to make this application happen, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org, and a staff member will be able to support you through the application process via email, phone call, and/or video chat.
All applicants will be contacted.
Left: Kevin A. Ormsby in Moving Scores, Ritual Presence… Never Ends by Kevin A. Ormsby | Photo by Omari ‘MarZ’ Anderson.
Right: Sierra Chin Sawdy and Irvin Chow in RElaps by Aria Evans | Photo by Dahlia Katz.